I need to start out by saying my Mom approves of this sandwich! I say this because my mom usually thinks everything I eat or make is weird, gross, or too healthy tasting – but I hit this one out of the park apparently. So I’m bragging!
This is my favorite sandwich to make because its so delicious, simple, and super nutritious. It involves eight simple ingredients; many of which you probably have around the house. The few that you may not have, well, you should! I think the pesto really knocks this sandwich out of the park for me and balances all the flavors. This recipe is vegetarian as is, but of course grilled chicken or shrimp would be awesome on this baby!
Makes one hearty, delicious sandwich
- Two slices of hearty, multi grain bread; toasted
- One Tablespoon pesto; you can find this in most grocery stores or make your own with my recipe!
- Half of a ripe avocado
- Small squeeze of lime juice
- Half of a ripe tomato; cut in slices
- Small handful of sprouts; I used alfalfa sprouts that I sprouted myself, but you can find fresh salad sprouts in most grocery stores. If not start sprouting; which I will be posting about very soon!
- Pink Himalayan salt and pepper; to taste
- Teaspoon of olive oil
Method of prep
- Cut up your tomato and cut your avocado in half. Mush the avocado and make it into a spreadable paste. Add a squeeze of lime juice to the avocado spread and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast your bread.
- Spread the pesto onto one side of the bread so it covers the whole side; can add more if desired.
- Spread the avocado spread on the other side.
- Add your tomato and sprouts right on top.
- Finally drizzle with olive oil and add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut your sandwich in half if desired, and thats it!