Pronounced: Peek-OH deh Guy-OH
Also known as “Fresh Salsa” is a delicious appetizer, snack, or topping. Its not only delicious it’s also guilt free and very healthy! No need to strictly enjoy this delicious salsa just when you go out for Mexican cuisine. You can make Pico at home very easily with some simple ingredients you can find at your local grocery store! This is a go to fresh snack for me personally and I love its versatility. If you usually don’t enjoy tomatoes I can almost guarantee you will love them paired with all the other fresh ingredients found in this fresh salsa!
Pico de Gallo
Makes about a medium bowl full of goodness!
- 5 fresh plum tomatoes
- I like plum tomatoes because they are usually the firmest, with the least amount of guts. But you can use any fresh tomatoes you enjoy!
- one yellow or red onion
- Depending on your flavor preference.
- one fresh jalapeno pepper
- You can use the seeds if you prefer a spicy salsa.
- juice from one lime
- If you use bottled lime juice, be sure there are no preservatives!
- about 15 sprigs of fresh cilantro
- stems trimmed
- Dried cilantro will not suffice! You need fresh!
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- dash of sugar
Method of Prep
- Start by washing all fresh ingredients.
- Then dice up your tomatoes and finely chop your onion and pepper. Place in your bowl.
- Finely chop up your cilantro and add to your bowl.
- Squeeze your lime juice into your ingredients then season with salt and pepper to taste. You can add a dash of sugar if your tomatoes are out of season and not very tasteful!
- Mix everything together and voila! Enjoy!
As a healthy snack, pair your fresh salsa with organic corn chips; the “Garden of Eaten'” Blue Corn chips are my personal favorite!
Add your Pico to tacos, burritos, quesadillas, chicken, pork, fish, shrimp, salads, and more. It works in so many recipes!
- You can make a Mango Pico de Gallo salsa, by dicing up one ripe mango, and omitting two of the tomatoes!
- Or you can make a Pineapple Pico de Gallo salsa, by dicing up about a half ripe pineapple, and omitting two of the tomatoes!
- Add fresh diced Avocado as the last ingredient right into your Pico de Gallo recipe!
- Add Pomegranate Seeds for a slightly sweet and tart twist to you Pico!
- For a more hearty salsa add a drained 1/2 can of black beans, 1/2 drained can of corn, and one yellow pepper, diced!